Dr. Bryan EmmersonHip & Knee Replacement Specialist
Dr. Emmerson was born and raised in the Central Valley of California. He received his undergraduate degree in Biomedical Engineering (BME) from The Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland. This is the highest rated BME program in the country. During that time he studied biochemistry, biomaterials, and medical implant design.
After earning his Bachelor of Science, Dr. Emmerson returned to California and attended medical school at UC San Diego. While in medical school he was awarded a research grant to continue his interest in orthopaedics. He then completed a 6-year residency in orthopaedic surgery at UC San Diego. Included in this was a dedicated year of clinical and basic science research in orthopaedics.
Once he had completed his residency, Dr. Emmerson traveled to the East Coast where he received an additional year of fellowship training at the Anderson Orthopaedic Research Institute. This was a year of focused surgical training in knee and hip arthroplasty. This included advanced techniques in anterior approach hip replacement, partial and total knee replacement, as well as complex reconstructions.
Dr. Emmerson finally settled in Santa Barbara to be close to extended family. He has been serving patients throughout the Central Coast since 2011. In that time, he has received numerous awards and honors. Dr. Emmerson performed the first joint replacement in the newly constructed Goleta Valley Cottage Hospital. He was named Goleta Valley Cottage Hospital Physician of the Year in 2013. He has also served as the Chief of Surgery for Goleta Valley Cottage Hospital for 2017, 2018, and 2019.
Dr. Emmerson’s interest in the advancement of orthopaedics continues to this day. He serves on several boards at the hospital to improve the safety and efficacy of joint replacement. He also works as a consultant with medical device companies to develop surgical instrumentation and computer navigation for knee and hip replacement.
In addition to a busy clinical practice, Dr. Emmerson enjoys spending time with his wife and four children. They are active supporters of the local public school system. He is an avid cyclist and can often be spotted on weekend road rides or on the mountain bike trails overlooking Santa Barbara.
Orthopedic Surgical Practice
Total Joint Arthroplasty
Aug 2019 – Present
Total Joint Arthroplasty
Aug 2011 – July 2019
Anderson Orthopaedic Clinic
Fellow in Total Joint Arthroplasty
Aug 2010 – July 2011
UC San Diego Dept of Orthopaedic Surgery
Resident in Orthopaedic Surgery
June 2005 – June 2010
UC San Diego Dept of General Surgery
Internship in General Surgery
June 2004 – June 2005
UC San Diego School of Medicine
Doctor of Medicine
Aug 2000 – June 2004
Johns Hopkins University
Bachelor of Science, Biomedical Engineering
Sept 1994 – May 1998
- Goleta Valley Cottage Hospital Chief of Surgery 2017, 2018, 2019
- Goleta Valley Cottage Hospital Physician of the Year 2013
- Western Orthopaedic Association Lloyd W. Taylor Award Recipient, October 2006
- Western Orthopaedic Association Esch Award Recipient, May 2006
- NIH/Stein Institute for Research on Aging research grant
- AEMB Biomedical Engineering National Honor Society
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
UC San Diego Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Research Fellow, Principal Investigator David Amiel, PhD
- Media optimization for the storage of fresh osteochondral allografts
June 2005– June 2006
- Williams S, Amiel D, Ball S, Allen R, Tontz W Jr, Emmerson B, Badlani N, Emery S, Haghighi P, Bugbee W. Analysis of Cartilage Tissue on a Cellular Level in Fresh Osteochondral Allograft Retrievals. Am J Sports Med. 2007 Dec;35(12):2022-32.
- Emmerson B, Görtz S, Jamali A, Chung C, Amiel D, Bugbee W. Fresh Osteochondral Allografting in the Treatment of Osteochondritis Dissecans of the Femoral Condyle. Am J Sports Med. 2007 Jun;35(6):907-14.
- Pennock A, Robertson C, Emmerson B, Harwood F, Amiel D. Role of Apoptotic and Matrix-Degrading Genes in Articular Cartilage and Meniscus of Mature and Aged Rabbits During Development of Osteoarthritis. Arthritis and Rheum. 2007 May;56(5):1529-36.
- Jamali A, Emmerson B, Chung C, Convery F, Bugbee W. Fresh Osteochondral Allografts. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2005 Aug;(437);176-85.
- Emmerson B, Gortz S, Jamali A, Chung C, Amiel D, Bugbee W. Fresh Osteochondral Allografting in the Treatment of Osteochondritis Dissecans of the Femoral Condyle. American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine Specialty Day Meeting. San Diego, California. February 2007.
- Emmerson B, Gortz S, Jamali A, Chung C, Amiel D, Bugbee W. Fresh Osteochondral Allografting in the Treatment of Osteochondritis Dissecans of the Femoral Condyle. Western Orthopaedic Association. Santa Fe, New Mexico. October 2006.
- Emmerson B, Gortz S, Jamali A, Chung C, Amiel D, Bugbee W. Fresh Osteochondral Allografting in the Treatment of Osteochondritis Dissecans of the Femoral Condyle. International Cartilage Repair Society. San Diego, California. January 2006.
To know more about Dr. Emmerson please visit www.santabarbarahipandknee.com